Tuesday 27 January 2009

First blog – Weli Elmi

Well here I am currently on an 18 hour train journey from Mumbai to Delhi. I apologise to those who have been eagerly awaiting my first blog....particularly Zish...... I’ve been busy snapping necks and spending those cheques (that’s right plural). Dubai now seems like a distant memory. Besides the over spend Dubai was nice and relaxing...chilli chill as some might put it. I think Fil did well in updating everyone on our whereabouts so I’ll leave my experience to his account. However I would like to reiterate The Burj colossal size....engineering has come far people. Also Habib/Firas’s crib gets a special mention...niiiiiiice(south park style) and finally special thanks to my Mum/Nasir n Bal for your efforts in ensuring we are reconnected with our malaria tablets and my credit card..much appreciated.
So India..MUMBAI...I disagree with the camp on this one. ...Here is my experience...
On arriving at Mumbai the first thing that hit me was the number of people outside, impressive I though bearing in mind our flight landed at 4am. The smell wasn’t the warmest of welcomes but manageable contrary to Fil’s blog...but still a shock. I think Marks views of the cab journey express my own. But amid the rush and confusion I did see order...it was what Massi would refer to as controlled hastiness. An order which was based on EVERYONE doing as they pleased such that, if everyone stuck to this system then it worked, but if just one person didn’t then it failed. By the end of the journey I felt safe in the hands of the driver as I began to understand the laws of the roads. I recall sitting back during this journey and being overwhelmed by everything around me with the thought of Zish and Ahsan in my head saying “this boy has never left England he hasn’t seen ghetto”(in their many Pakistan stories)....guys its true, before now I ain’t see shit!. It has been an eye opener though and probably the cultural highlight of my trip so far.
So Mumbai...besides the shanty buildings and pot hole filled roads, it had a buzz similar to the narrow roads of Brick Lane in the evenings. Where every shop owner entices you to spend that much sought after foreign money. Only difference was, here there is no etiquette of approach, people instead Sam grab your ass and follow you until you go at least 50m past their shop....... O’ and then there is the NAGGERS. At first I felt sorry and so went about politely declining their advances, until I realised that’s the green light they’re looking for. From then on in, they follow you around and touch you up until you want to punch them away. I give them credit thou them guys are resilient and determined.
Mumbai potentially has the potential to be a great city, but first they need to start investing seriously, and I’m not talking about installing a metro or building skyscrapers (like Dubai), but instead something much simpler, just clean the streets and maintain the buildings. They have a scenic selection of old colonial buildings, still standing.............but barley and I mean barely! Anyhow the train ride is finally coming to an end and so until next time from Delhi baby....adios. Hopefully Delhi being the capital will offer more in the way of culture for culture vultures like us ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment